My friend Paola is an amazing cook. She is from Naples and manages to whip up Neapolitan specialities the way I make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That is, she is dazzling in the kitchen. Last night, after a delicious meal that she served to 16 people (!), she offered this homemade tiramisu. She rattled this recipe off of the top of her head (with her daughter chiming in). There are raw eggs in here, so either live dangerously, or use a substitute, but make this!
1 lb mascarpone, softened (room temperature)
5 egg yolks
1 egg white
scant cup of sugar
36 lady fingers
1 1/2 cups espresso (regular or decaf)
Sweetened cocoa powder
1. Cream egg yolks and sugar in an electric mixer
2. Add cheese and mix by hand until combined
3. Beat egg white until stiff and glossy
4. Fold in egg white to mixture
5. Dip lady fingers in the espresso
6. Alternate layers of espresso'd lady fingers and mascarpone mix in pan until finished, mixture should be on top
7. Sprinkle with sweetened cocoa powder.