I am on a perpetual quest for wholesome yet sophisticated dishes to expand my repertoire. And the simpler the recipe the better.
Naturally, I tend to cook what I find appealing and often try to recreate something I've had at a restaurant. For years, I've enjoyed wild rice side dishes. These are good warm alongside chicken, beef or fish, but they also work well as a cold salad.
The other day, I approximated what I've had many times at many restaurants. It's really good and really easy -- thus ticking my two main boxes.
Remember: really good and really easy (doesn't hurt that it's healthy too)!
Wild Rice Salad
1 cup wild rice prepared according to package directions
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
homemade or bottled balsamic vinaigrette
1. Cook and drain the rice and put into a large bowl. Let cool.
2. Add dried cranberries and cheese (if rice is not cool, cheese will melt).
3. Refrigerate until an hour before serving.
4. About half an hour before serving, toss with vinaigrette.
5. Just before serving, top with slivered almonds if desired